KEEP THE HEAVY STUFF OUT OF THE LANDFILL WITH THIS POPULAR TARRYTOWN PROGRAM!
The Village of Tarrytown has established a drop-off location for household food scraps on Green St: Cross the “H” bridge over the MNR tracks, turn Left (South) and travel along the street past the commuter parking lots. The drop-off is on the right, just before the Losee Park ballfield.
There are specially-marked bins in place to collect food scraps from the residents of the Village of Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow. The collected food scraps are transferred to a commercial composting facility upstate to be recycled into nutrient-rich compost.
- Fish and Shellfish (shells ok)
- Dairy Products
- Bread and Pasta
- Rice and Grains
- Egg Shells
- Chips and Snacks
- Nuts and Seeds
- Leftover, Spoiled and Expired Food (cooked ok)
- Coffee Grounds (paper filters ok)
- Fruits and Vegetables (remove stickers, bands, ties
- Meat and Poultry (bones ok
- Tea Bags (no staples)
- Paper Towels and Napkins
- Uncoated Paper Plates
- Cut Flowers
- Compostable Bags (no plastic bags)
- Compostable (marked as such) Cups, Plates and Utensils
Items NOT Accepted:
- NO Plastic bags, plastic packaging or wrappers – use only
- compostable bags, paper bags or no bags
- NO Baby/Hand wipes
- NO Pet waste
- Complete compost collection kits (kitchen counter caddie, roll of liner bags, and a larger locking bulk transporter) are available for $20 from the Warner Library and the Tarrytown Rec Center.
- Please use only compostable bags (not plastic or “bio-degradable” bags) for your scraps. Additional liner bags are available for $2 for a roll of 25 bags.
- To reduce odors, we recommend saving meat, fish, and bone leftovers in your freezer until ready to transfer to the drop-off site.