Healthy Air, Soil and Water
The Tarrytown Environmental Advisory Council promotes clean, healthy public spaces for all Village residents with action and education campaigns and by working with the administration on legislation to minimize the impact of pollution-generating activities.
- Anti Idling – Westchester has enjoyed a 3 minute idling limit since 2008. TEAC works with the Village to inform residents about the law with signage and education.
- Leaf Blowing – Tarrytown, like many Westchester villages, has legislated restrictions on the periods of the year during which gas-powered leaf blowers may be used. The operation of a gasoline-powered leaf and garden blower is prohibited from June 15 through September 15 of each year and on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays during the period September 16 through June 14 each year. Person(s) who own or rent a one- to three-family home, who are using the gasoline-powered leaf and garden blowers at the home where they reside, are exempt from the provisions of this section.
- Love 'Em and Leave 'Em – This initiative encourages landscape professionals, private property owners, municipal officials & staff, and institutional property managers to “Love ‘Em & Leave ‘Em” on site, with several goals:
- Build better turf and soil quality by shredding leaves and grass clippings right where they fall, or by applying the shredded organics as mulch on garden beds and border areas
- Reduce the total amount of yard waste that has to be removed from a property.
- Reduce overall yard waste disposal costs for local municipalities and for the county.
- Working with other groups – TEAC works with other governmental and non-governmental groups on a wide variety of environmental issues. Groups we partner with with include:
- League of Women Voters
- Scenic Hudson
- Sleepy Hollow Environmental Advisory Council
- Tarrytown Lakes Committee
- Tarrytown Tree Commission
- Tarrytown Union Free School District
- TaSH Farmers Market
- Village of Sleepy Hollow